Thursday, November 13, 2008

Braid

I finished Braid last night. For anyone who has not heard of it, it is basically a puzzle game based around platforming and time manipulation. I had a really great time with it, and I recommend it to any and all gamers.

First off, the gameplay, while not the ultimate achievement, is quite solid. Each of the five main areas introduces a new time mechanic that is required to solve the puzzles within the world. From the standard rewind function, to a world where moving to the right advances time and moving to the left backs it up, it is fun to see how each puzzle utilizes the player's abilities.

What I found most interesting, and even rewarding, however, is that the gameplay is only a part of one amazing product. More than any other game I have ever witnessed, Braid is a work of art. Everything about it, from the visual style, to the music, to the story is expertly done to create a complete experience that can only be understood after you play it. On the surface, it appears to be a game about saving a princess. Pretty standard stuff, no? But underneath that is a far deeper message, if you care to explore (or check out the plot analysis at GameFAQs). Once you see the bigger picture, it becomes clear how everything, every little element, is used to convey one main idea. The final level will blow your mind.

Finally, the icing on the cake is the homage to the original Super Mario Bros. Within the game are monsters that resemble goombas and piranha plants, and at the end of each World, there is a castle with a flag, and a turtle-like creature who informs the player that the princess is probably in another castle. That really put a smile on my face.

There isn't any other way for me to say this: play Braid!

2 comments:

  1. oh great, so now you're promoting blatant ripoffs???

    J/K. thanks for yet another great review... yeah yeah, I should play Braid... but man I'm waiting on your review of Gears 2... dont' let me down

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on that one, but it's been tough, for some reason. I'll probably get that done soon after I beat the game.

    ReplyDelete